All Subscription Concerts take place in the splendid chapel of Xavier College, a Catholic boys’ school in the Melbourne suburb of Kew.
Vehicle access is via the school gates on Barkers Road, or from the side gate on Stewart Street. Ample parking is available within the school grounds, near the chapel. Please note that there is only pedestrian access from the rear gates via Wellington Street. The nearest trams are on Glenferrie Rd and via Kew Junction. The Chapel is wheelchair accessible. Below is a map to assist you in locating the Chapel.
The chapel was built between 1927 and 1934 to a design by the firm of Schreiber and Jorgensen. It is described by the National Trust as “one of the most formal classicising Baroque church designs in Victoria, with a giant order Roman Ionic portico, vestigial west towers, and a dominant dome and drum over the crossing”. Justus Jorgensen (1893-1975) is perhaps best known for later building the artists’ colony he called ‘Montsalvat’ on his property at Eltham in Melbourne’s north-east, but the firm was responsible for several other notable Catholic church buildings in Melbourne, including the completion of St James’s Gardenvale (1924), Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Prahran (1929), and the Presbytery of St Mary’s Thornbury (1929).